COBOL KeePIR for CICS/400
Technical Product Overview CICS COBOL to NATIVE ILE COBOL and CICS emulator
PIR Group presents COBOL KeePIR for CICS/400
COBOL KeePÍR development was based on the belief that corporations have made significant investments in the development of applications software and that they desire to reap the maximum benefit from that investment.
COBOL KeePÍR for CICS/400 conversion is transparent to the end user: the screens look and work the same. The end result is no user retraining required. Employee morale and customer service levels remain high during the migration to the iSeries.
COBOL KeePÍR for CICS/400 The program algorithm is kept completely intact. Thus programmers who are familiar with the mainframe programs will easily maintain and enhance these programs on the iSeries. This dramatically reduces programmers’ learning curve on the iSeries and provides a high confidence level that when a converted program compiles, it will duplicate the mainframe transaction.
- The program algorithm is kept completely intact.
- Any code added is “flagged” and is kept in-line with the code in the programs.
- Our team works closely with your programming staff to ensure satisfaction of the delivered code.
- Several options are available to increase the “Openness” of your existing COBOL programs:- Externalize all program-based file I/O to callable sub-routines.
– Externalize all program-based screen I/O to callable sub-routines. – Conversion-based global replacement.
– Extensive conversion documentation available on each program.Thus programmers who are familiar with the mainframe programs will easily maintain and enhance their iSeries clones. This dramatically reduces programmers’ learning curve on the new platform and provides a high confidence level that when a converted program compiles; it will duplicate the mainframe transaction.
COBOL KeePIR for CICS/400 GENERAL FEATURES:
- The utility reads and converts programs written in 74 Cobol and 85 Cobol producing output in ILE Cobol.
- A single command converts and compiles an entire library. The utility operates in a lights-out environment to produce output ready for unit test by the following morning.
- The utility supports both conversational and pseudoconversational program structure.
- The standard iSeries command interface is used to drive the conversion utility.
- All comments contained in the original code appear in the same location in the converted iSeries program.
- All copy books are converted and retain the same identity.
- The tool generates a detailed error report.
PIR Group/COBOL KeePIR for CICS/400 SCREEN SUPPORT FEATURES:
All BMS maps are reformatted to CICS/400 standard
- All BMS field names are retained.
- PF key feedback, cursor feedback and positioning, and screen field attributes are retained.
- The original screen layouts are preserved, and the conversion is transparent to the user. No changes in input method are required.
PIR Group/COBOL KeePIR for CICS/400 FILE SUPPORT FEATURES:
Files (VSAM & DB2) are converted to the iSeries database using the COBOL field names as data base field names.
- CICS/VSAM file access is converted to the appropriate iSeries COBOL file access commands. (Read, Write, Delete, Rewrite, etc…..)
Variable Length Records will be converted to fixed length files. The client has the option to use other solutions implemented by PIR Group; this is outside the conversion scope and would be billed at a standard billing rate.
CICS RESOURCE DEFINITIONS:
- CICS resource tables are migrated to CICS/400 tables.
PIR Group/COBOL KeePIR for CICS/400 FEATURES NOT SUPPORTED:
- 3270 data streams
AREAS REQUIRING MANUAL INTERVENTION:
- Certain uses of BLL Cells
- JCL created by the Cobol program
- DOS/VSE $LST Cards
- Assembler programs
- C programs
- BMS paging options used on screens
- Light Pen & Bar Coding functionality
- Some areas of “Report Writer” programs
BMS paging options used on screens
Light Pen & Bar Coding functionality
Some areas of “Report Writer” programs